Macadamia, Hemp, and Pine Pollen Pesto
Well, it's basil season baby- and you know what that means.... it's pesto time. If you've been following me for a year, you will know that I developed an obsession last year when I made my own pesto for the first time (find the initial recipe HERE). I try to eat in season as much as possible, and so as basil season came and went... so did my pesto-based culinary adventures.
There are endless possibilities in the world of homemade pesto- and I plan on diving deep down the rabbit hole of pesto making this basil season. I've actually been growing my own in the garden (#localaf), which is pretty exciting. Anyways let's cut to the chase... this pesto is FIRE! Full of healthy fats, delicious herbs, greens, and even a potent adaptogen- this one is a winner!
- 4 cups of fresh organic basil
- 4 cups of wild rocket (arugula)
- 1 cup of biodynamic olive oil
- 1/3 cup organic macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup organic hemp seeds
- 3-4 cloves of organic garlic, raw
- a few pieces of fresh pine pollen + spruce needle tips (optional)
- 1 heaped tbsp of wildcrafted pine pollen
- big squeeze of fresh organic lemon juice
- few hefty pinches of sea salt
- few cracks of organic black pepper
- Mix all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor until smooth-ish, then add in olive oil slowly and continue to blend until smoothAF.
- That’s it! Yep, so simple it’s pretty much a crime if you don’t make your own pesto.
Store your pesto in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze it in an ice cube tray for a few months and just pop it into soups, stews, etc.
To learn more about pine pollen/ all my favourite brands, click HERE.
Use your pesto in an epic zucchini noodle dish, full recipe HERE.
The Pesto Queen