Crispy, Spicy, Oven Baked Chicken Wings
These chicken wings/ drumsticks are a total staple in my diet. We’re raised to think that wings are a junk food, and the way they are normally prepared (conventional meat + deep fried) they definitely don't qualify as a health food. My wings however, TOTALLY DO! Dark chicken meat contains more nutrients than white meat, is far richer in minerals such as iron, zinc and selenium, as well as vitamins A, K and the B complex vitamins. It’s higher in fat, which is a great thing when you're consuming high quality, ethically raised organic meat. Most nutrients are stored in the fat, and so by choosing high quality source of animal protein and optiong for the fattier cuts- you actually benefit from it. The wings/ drumstick portions of the chicken also contain lots of cartilage, which means your getting a healthy dose of collagen as well. As if that wasn't enough, this recipe is filled with metabolism boosting, immune supporting, and anti-inflammatory spices, which not only taste epic, but leave your body feeling great. Opt for organic, pasture raised chicken, and you're ready to rock n' roll.
- 1/2 a kg of organic chicken wings/ drumsticks
- 3 tbsp of organic turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp of organic paprika
- a pinch of cayenne
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp high quality organic olive oil (or avocado oil, coconut oil, beef tallow, or lard)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (HOT!)
- In a bowl, add chicken wings and oil, and toss to coat the chicken
- Add turmeric, paprika, and cayenne and toss again until wings are covered (use more spice if necessary)
- On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, place the wings so that they are not touching each other, and place tray on 2nd highest rack in the oven
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then flip the wings to the other side, bake another 10 minutes, and flip again (repeat 1 more time for each side). Total cooking time is around 40 minutes, but wings vary in size, so keep an eye on them. You will absolutely know when they are done to a crispy perfection because they look like THIS >
- Finally, crack a healthy dose of fresh black pepper and sea salt all over the wings.
ps. feel free to use any images in this post as a background for your phone… I know you want to.