I'll cut straight to the chase with this one, because, well, bacon. I stick to bacon that is 100% organic, pasture raised and contains NO added sugar, sulphites, or preservatives. Bacon can truly be poison if its made with unethically raised, conventional meat. Make sure to opt for the high quality stuff, and READ THE LABLE! I’ve read packages that advertise “no added sulphites other than the naturally occurring ones in the preservatives use” (are you f’ing kidding me?)
- 1 packet of organic, pasture raised, non-GMO bacon strips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the bacon strips lines up side by side (totally OK if they touch) on a baking tray
- Cook on 2nd highest oven rack for 10 minutes, and flip strips to the other side
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes, but once you've flipped them- keep an eye permanently to see when they have reached your desired level of crispness
- Remove from oven and place on paper towel to absorb the excess oil (this ensures they crisp up) before consumption.
DO NOT DISCARD THE BACON FAT! If you opted for high quality meat (organic, pasture raised, non-GMO, yaddah yaddah) the animal fat is absolutely FULL of nutrients. Grass-fed pork fat (or lard) is literally sold in stores, and makes the best cooking fat. Store it in a mason jar in the fridge for months, or freeze it in cubes for a year. Use it the same way you would any cooking oil. I roast my veggies in in, cook taco meat in it, and use it to oil a pan for stir-fry’s, etc. I keep a jar both of bacon fat and beef fat in my fridge at all times!